Thursday, February 4, 2016

4th Grade Clay Spiral Bowls

4th Grade has music this semester so I will not have another post for them till next year but I just pulled their final project from the kilns and thought I should share.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this project.
Students took a piece of scrap paper and on the page they made a design using coils.  Then the smoothed one the outward side of the coils and slump molded their flat piece into a bowl by laying it over an existing cup or bowl.  One they were leather hard we pulled the cups out and took off the scrap paper revealing their spiral design on the inside of their bowl.


 After the first fire through the kiln I gave students a choice of painting their clay with tempra and taking it home that day or glazing and getting their clay back later.  I forgot to photograph any of the bowls that were just watercolored but they were beautiful too.





No comments:

Post a Comment