Thursday, November 10, 2016

Clay 2nd Grade Sgraffito and Symmetry


 2nd Grades have spent the last two weeks working on Symmetry we talked about how standard symmetry and how radial symmetry works and how artist use both in designs.  We then took our Symmetrical designs and transfred them to clay orniments. 

 Our ornimets were done using a process called Sgraffito where the base of our clay is one color but we top it with a slip in another colors so that when we carve into the slip we can clearly see the two colors and the design.  I have never tried this with students before but this year I ordered brown clay instead of white beacuse it was cheaper and I had enought leftover white clay from last year to make the slip so we went for it.  Overall I think it turned out rather well.  
We will be adding some paint to these after they are fired but right now I am still waiting for them to finishish drying.  I can not wait to post again and show you when they are done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment